Halloween is almost upon us and while we can’t do the normal yearly Halloween parties or trick or treating, I still love Spooky Season. However, explaining to my seven year old that she can’t go trick or treating was not something I wish to repeat. Instead she is dressing up as the Cheshire Cat, her daddy is going to be the Hatter, and we are doing an at home trick or treat event with her stuffed animals. We are trying our best to keep her life as normal as possible so hopefully it will turn out well.
In the spirit of the season I figured now was a good time to do a book tag so I found The Spooky Halloween Tag which I unfortunately don’t see an originator for. If this is your tag let me know and I will happily link you!
1. Favourite horror or Halloween-themed song?
I haven’t watched this movie in more than a decade but I still find myself humming along to This is Halloween in my head from time to time. I can’t think of a single song or movie that more encapsulates the spooky season.
2. Name something you wouldn’t want to run into in a dark forest or in an abandoned building.
A lonely white man.
3. Have you ever played with a Ouija Board?
Oh hell no! Do you think I’m stupid? No. I’ve seen those folks in movies who use a ouija board and get brutally murdered by a ghost or some shit. No thank you.
4. Favourite horror monster or villain?
I love me a good vampire. One that doesn’t sparkle or fall in love with brainless teenage girls. Give me Lestat or Armand. Anne Rice wrote some fabulous vampires.
5. The creepiest thing that’s ever happened while you were alone?
Luckily nothing. Although, let me tell you a little something about me. I’m so freaked out by the idea of somewhere being haunted that before I move in to a place I look up to see if there have been any deaths or recorded violent activity. I’m not living in a haunted house. NOPE.
6. If you were dared to spend the night in a “haunted house”, would you do it?
You know who dies in horror movies? The idiots who do something they know is dangerous just for kicks or curiosity. Oh no. Not me. I might look at the ruins of a haunted house from afar at mid day in the middle of summer but spend the night in one? No thank you. I’m not going to be a statistic.
7. Are you superstitious?
8. Do you ever see figures in your peripheral vision?
Look, I wear glasses. I can’t see shit in my peripheral vision. Is it a ghost ready to murder me or my cat doing yoga poses? I sure don’t know.
9. Which urban legend scares you the most?
I do not scare myself on purpose so I don’t really know any urban legends. The spookiest thing I get into is season 1 of Supernatural and let me tell you that kid in the lake gives me the creeps. Hide under the bed if you know what I’m talking about.
10. Do you prefer gore or thrillers?
Occasionally I do read horror and mostly, on the occasion that I do, it is a psychological thriller. I prefer things that mess with your head rather than gore and jump scares.
11. Do you believe in multiple dimensions or worlds?
Sure, why not? Who am I to judge.
12. Ever made a potion of any sort?
Lol. No. I’m not out here borrowing trouble, I have my own.
13. Do you get scared easily?
As a wee little adult I did. Everything made me jump. Now I hear a bump or thump in the night that I can’t explain in my head I’m just going, “Well, I hope they make it quick.” Jaded much? Sure am.
14. Have you ever played Bloody Mary?
Fuck that. DON’T. BORROW. TROUBLE.
15. Do you believe in demons/the devil?
Sure, why not. Sometimes the demons are just people.
16. You’re home alone but you hear footsteps in your house, what do you do?
Ahem. I live in America. I’m not precisely proud of our culture but I said that to say this…many American homes have firearms. If I perhaps lived in a house that had a safely stored and secured firearm and I heard footsteps in the house when I was home alone I would put myself near said secured weapon along with my cell phone. I’m not getting killed in my own house.
17. If you got trapped in one scary movie, which would you choose?
No. Just no.
18. If you could only wear one halloween costume for the rest of your life, what would you be?
Pillsbury Dough Boy.
19. would you ever go to a graveyard at night?
I don’t see why people have a problem with graveyards. I’m far more afraid of the living than the dead. Old tombstones are also fascinating but always treat them with respect.
20. In a zombie apocalypse what is your weapon of choice?
Michone had it right in Walking Dead. That sword isn’t going to run out of ammo, it is easy to carry, and it is quiet. Good choice, girl.
21. Would you rather go to a Halloween party or go trick or treating?
Trick or treating. I love walking around and seeing all the different costumes and what people come up with. I’m going to miss that this year. Seeing the munchkins in their costumes all excited is the best.
22. You’re in a horror movie. Are you the final girl, the first to die, the comic relief, the skeptic, the smart one, or the killer?
Likely the comic relief because when I am stressed the most terrible jokes come out of my mouth.
23. Do you have to watch something happy after watching a horror movie so you can go to sleep?
I don’t do horror movies. Not my cup of tea. I enjoy reading horror from time to time but I’m sure not watching it.
24. Whilst watching scary movies, are you the person who yells at the characters, the person with their eyes covered the whole time, or the person who falls asleep?
I would be the person who gets up and leaves the room.
25. Are you the one who gets scared, or the one who does the scaring?
I hate it when people think it is fun or funny to scare someone else. It’s not funny. It is stressful. There are enough stressors in life without some dip shit getting their kicks making you jump. Fuck that.
26. Favorite scary book?
I’m going to go with favorite horror poem. I love gothic horror and especially Edgar Allan Poe. My favorite poem of his is The Sleeper. If you would like to read it (it is relatively short) you can find it here.
27. How old were you when you saw your first horror movie?
I was a teenager before I watched my first horror movie. I mentioned before, I don’t like horror films that much. However, my “friends” literally tied me up and forced me to watch The Ring and then proceeded to try to scare me all night. Yeah, not the best of friends. Glad to say they are no longer in my life.
28. What was your first Halloween costume?
I don’t remember my first but there is one from early childhood that stands out in my mind. When I was still a wee little thing my mom made me a Hershey’s chocolate bar. I was the cutest piece of chocolate you ever did see.
29. What are you going to be for Halloween this year?
A tired and frazzled parent trying to do their best to make their child happy during a horrible pandemic that would be lessened if people WOULD JUST WEAR THEIR FUCKING MASKS.
30. If you could have a spooky halloween pet (black cat, owl, bat, rat, wolf), what would you pick?
I have a dark grey cat that is spooky and cranky and just the absolute best. His name is Pogo and while he isn’t traditionally spooky I think the grey floof blends into shadows and is just spooky enough.
That is it for this Halloween tag! I hope you all are having the happiest of spooky seasons.