I’ve been in a bit of a reading slump lately so I figure that now was the perfect time to put together a book tag! This tag was found at Way Too Fantasy and it seemed like a fun romp. It can be frustrating when you don’t feel like reading but still want to be active in the reading community. Just because you aren’t in the mood to read doesn’t mean that you aren’t a reader, a lover of books and stories. Participate in a way that makes you comfortable. I guess this is my way of saying that even though I don’t feel like reading I’m not going to shut up about the stories I love or even the ones I hate.
1. What is the highest rated book that you gave a low rating? (Sort your books in Goodreads based on Average Ratings and find the highest rated book you gave a low rating).
A Court of Silver Flames. Avg 4.5. My rating 2
Look, I’ve made it no secret that I did not enjoy this book. I had such high expectations for it but it really let me down. Even more shallow plot than usual, so much X rated material that it was absurd…I can’t even pretend to have liked this book but I certainly don’t blame the people who did.
2. What is the lowest rated book that you gave a high rating? (Sort your books in Goodreads based on Avg Ratings, in reverse order, and find the lowest rated book you gave a high rating).
Damsel by Elana Arnold. Avg 3.39. My rating 4
I really enjoyed this book, especially the ending. There are a lot of trigger warnings in this book, mainly partner abuse, but it all turns out satisfyingly in the end.
3. What is the most popular book you disagree with the avg rating? (Sort your books in Goodreads based on number of Ratings, and find the first book you disagree with the avg rating)
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. Avg 3.91. My rating 2
Is this a well loved MG series? Absolutely. Did it bore me to tears? Also yes. I do believe this is the last middle grade I read and I don’t see that changing any time soon unless it is for Riordan.
4. What is the least popular book you disagree with the avg rating? (Sort your books in Goodreads based on number of Ratings, in reverse order, and find the first book you disagree with the avg rating).
Olmec Obituary by LJM Owen
This is not a well known or a well loved book but it is one that I particularly enjoyed. A mix of mystery, historical fiction, modern science, and interesting characters. It really is a joy.
5. Choose two books that have an average rating of 3/5 stars but you gave a higher rating.
Reign of the Fallen by Sarah Glenn Marsh. Avg 3.41 My rating 4
YA fantasy with some dark topics and it delves into the processing of grief in a non healthy way which was interesting
Once and Future by Capetta and McCarthy. Avg 3.54 My rating 5
LGBTQIA+. Arthurnian retelling IN SPACE. Merlin is a teenager. Many fun, much like.
6. Choose two books that have an average rating of 3/5 stars but you gave a lower rating.
Wilder Girls by Rory Power 3.55 G 2 M
Look, this book was just ridiculous. The plot was mildly entertaining but nothing was wrapped up at the end and the supposed LGBT aspect was just hot air and practically non existent.
Where Dreams Descend 3.72 G 1 M
One of the worst books I’ve ever read. The “big bad” is a mirror, the romance is laughable, and the main character is just a selfish, childish bitch. Hated everything about this book.
7. Choose two books that have an average rating of 4/5 stars but you gave a lower rating.
Siege and Storm 3.95 G 3 M
Daughter of Smoke and Bone 4 G 3 M
I honestly don’t remember either of these well enough right now to give any kind of commentary on them. Thats the thing with 3 star reads, they just aren’t memorable.
8. Choose two books that have an average rating of 2/5 stars but you gave a higher rating.
I only have one book on my read list with an Average rating of 2 and I actually gave it a 1. Betrothed by Kiera Cass. Doesn’t fit the prompt but ya’ll needed reminded about what garbage that book was.
9. Do you tend to agree or disagree with GR average rating and do you use GR as a guide for books you want to read?
Scrolling through my ratings compared to average ratings I seem to be all over the board. However, looking through my ratings it seems like for lesser known books I tend to give higher ratings where the average seems to be lower and for the super popular I’m more of a middle grounder but neither are far enough off the average to be terribly alarming.
Want to chat? You can find me here…