Hello hello, and welcome to the July 2021 Wrap Up here on Literary Weaponry. I talk frequently about my yearly reading slump that happens, without fail, every summer. This year it started creeping up on me in June and really had it’s claws in me throughout July. What amused me most, however, was that despite this being my least productive reading month of 2021 it is right on part with my average reading in previous years. I don’t know what 2021 has done to me but here we are. I’ve been a reading machine.
- Gallaghers of Ardmore Trilogy by Nora Roberts – When I am not in the mood to pick up anything that requires brain processing power I almost always turn to the same thing, happily ever after genre romance. Nora Roberts has been writing some of the best for decades. In this Gallaghers trilogy we of course have ourselves a trio of happily ever afters with cookie cutter characters and a beautiful setting. It was exactly what I was in the mood for during my slumpy summer. 3/5
- Small Favors by Erin A. Craig – I picked up Small Favors this month because it had a release date of July 27th and I had an ARC of it so it seemed like a good idea to, you know, actually read it. It was…not good. Plot points that went nowhere, an unnecessary love interest that was just dim, severely dragging storyline, characters with all the sense of a turnip, and some fantasy bits thrown in willy nilly. This book was definitely not for me. 2/5
- Iron Widow (Iron Widow #1) by Xiran Jay Zhao – This book was AMAZING. I’m still just rolling the story around in my head, thinking about the characters and the plot, wondering what is going to happen in the next book. If you love fantasy with some sci-fi elements, fierce and determined female leads, and grey morals then boy do you need to read this! This book was non stop action and suspense from cover to cover, not a single page was wasted. Iron Widow is out September 21 (US) and you need it in your life. 5/5
Monthly average rating: 3.3
Added to the Shelves
- Sisters of the Snake (Ria & Rani #1) by Sasha and Sarena Nanua (June OwlCrate)
- Master of One by Jones & Bennett
For once I didn’t go overboard in my book buying for the month. In fact, the only one I truly bought was Master of One because Sisters of the Snake came in a subscription box which is gifted to me. Granted, I did put in several preorders this month but that doesn’t count right now but I will say I bloated my September haul.
Life Stuff (TW medical)
So, this month was really quite a doozy for me outside of reading. A little over two years ago I discovered that I had a tumor. To say the least it was a little traumatizing. Sadly, my insurance at the time said they would cover absolutely none of the cost for surgery or treatment. Zero. Absolutely nothing. It could have been cancerous and sucking my life away and my insurance just shrugged. Privatized insurance is a joke.
Last year I qualified for insurance through my new employer but it was in the middle of the pandemic so I had to put off removing this tumor even longer. It has been a process and by the time I was able to get it removed the tumor was the size of an orange, jutting out against the skin of my neck. Not pleasant. But this month I was finally, FINALLY, able to get it removed. Recovery has been uncomfortable but I am so grateful that I was finally able to have the surgery and that it turned out to be non cancerous.
That is all from me for July! I hope you are having a great day and that life is treating you kindly. Happy reading!