The new year, and new decade, is upon us and what else is a reader to do at the start of a new year but look back on the books they’ve read the past 365 days.
During 2019 I read 61 books and, according to Goodreads, my average rating was a 3.8. I have to admit, the first half of the year I read more books I enjoyed than the second half. After July, there were so many reading disappointments but that isn’t what we are here to talk about. I want to share with you the books that brought me joy.
Title: The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke #1) by Tessa Dare
Published: August 2017 by Avon
Average Goodreads rating: 4.09
My rating: 4/5
When girl meets Duke, their marriage breaks all the rules…
Since his return from war, the Duke of Ashbury’s to-do list has been short and anything but sweet: brooding, glowering, menacing London ne’er-do-wells by night. Now there’s a new item on the list. He needs an heir—which means he needs a wife. When Emma Gladstone, a vicar’s daughter turned seamstress, appears in his library wearing a wedding gown, he decides on the spot that she’ll do.
His terms are simple:
– They will be husband and wife by night only.
– No lights, no kissing.
– No questions about his battle scars.
– Last, and most importantly… Once she’s pregnant with his heir, they need never share a bed again.
But Emma is no pushover. She has a few rules of her own:
– They will have dinner together every evening.
– With conversation.
– And unlimited teasing.
– Last, and most importantly… Once she’s seen the man beneath the scars, he can’t stop her from falling in love…